¨The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The next best time is today.¨ - Chinese proverb
Malachite + Elephant is partnering with The Haiti Tree Project to plant trees in Haiti.
To date, we have donated enough to plant and nurse 200 trees on protected watershed land in Haiti.
Did you know that less than 2% of Haiti's forest remains. The Haiti Tree Project is a non-profit organization that works to reforest rural Haiti by directly funding community-led efforts. They support organized village leadership committees that grow native fruit and hardwood trees.
Their goal is to establish an environmentally sustainable, tree-based agricultural economy in rural Haiti. So far, they have:
- helped build a community-owned tree nursery that can grow over 20 thousand trees per year and provide income for local development projects
- enabled 2,000 local families to grow trees from home
- reforested protected land on the mountains above the springs where over 3,000 families get their drinking water
In four years, they also financed the distribution of over 23,000 fruit and hardwood trees to local landowners. That's...
- 2011 - 600 mango trees
- 2013 - 3,200 mango, lemon orange and grapefruit trees
- 2014 - 1,800 mango "Madam Francique" trees - my mom's favorite
- 2015 - 2,400 mango and lemon trees
They have so many success stories to share, here is one...